Wednesday 26 October 2011

Is it illegal to photoshop a US $100 bill?

My brother is running for high school class class president so I scanned a $100 bill, modified it, and made it into a flyer. I changed the picture and most of the words, I changed %26quot;this note is legal tender%26quot; to %26quot;this note is not legal tender%26quot;, and I printed only the front side. I did print it at actual size however. Then I realized that this might be considered counterfeiting or something. If anyone knows whether this is legal or not, please let me know. Also, how would I be punished if caught? If it's illegal, I certainly won't distribute any of these flyers. Thanks.
Is it illegal to photoshop a US $100 bill?
I am sure its legal since you altered it and are not using it as legal tender or even trying to convince anyone it is.



I get coupons occasionally that look like a hundred dollar bill on one side and on the back side is a coupon for something. I've seen money that looks real except for the face in the center is Alfred E Newman or some other odd character.

So obviously its okay to make a %26quot;spoof%26quot; or parody of currency, its just not okay to try and pass it off as real.
Is it illegal to photoshop a US $100 bill?
No...not as long as you dont intend to use it for counterfed. ha!
If people would really confuse it for a real $100 bill, then it's illegal. If not, then it's fine. What you did is probably fine.
You should not do it, nor photocopy or in any way reproduce currency.
Send one to the U.S. Secret Service and ask them.
I think it might be considered counterfeiting. The Feds don't have a since of humor about these things.
If you are worried about getting arrested for doing then dont worry. I doubt that any one would ever arrest you over this, and even if you are there is no jury in the world would charge you.
no this isnt illegal ... as long as you dont infringe on the copyright ... and by changing those words you have cleared yourself of this ... if you would have left it all default ... you would be sued as a counterfeiter ... but making a copy of legal tender and changing just one of those words make it legal ... and they do it all the time ...



take care
  • grey hair
  • dog
  •