Wednesday 26 October 2011

How do the coded letters in the vitals of a .jpg picture works?

Whan I opened a .jpg image in a particular notepad it showed certain symbols, numbers and letters... So I decided to randomly remove %26quot; 脕W煤k脨y%26quot; from the %26quot;text-converted image%26quot; and see how would the image look. When I saved the text and then opened the file in .jpg format again, the whole image was totally bright.



So I need to know how do ALL the letters that we see in the text format of an image works? How can we edit the image i.e. change its size, add something in it, etc... by editing those letters?
How do the coded letters in the vitals of a .jpg picture works?
Using Notepad to edit an image usually results in a mess. However, using a Hex Editor, you may get results with help from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPG



I highly recommend to edit a .gif file with a Hex Editor before editing a .jpg file, since it's one of the most basic image types.