Wednesday 21 September 2011

Image is too large for ordering template?

Im trying to order my first set of test prints from a photo-lab. IM STUMPED! The test prints come in 8x10. My Image size is 8x12.6 with a 381 ppi. when i try to put it on the template to order its cropping out almost half of it. I have photoshop and i can change the size but how do i do it without limiting the pictures size options. and yes i have just recently learned to start shooting in RAW but these are jpeg so what do i do?
Image is too large for ordering template?
8x12 is 8x12. If you try to fit it into an 8x10 format, you will lose a couple of inches.



You will have to resize your image to 6.35x10 if it must fit within an 8x10 template. The image will be smaller, but at least you won't lose any of it to cropping.



Take a look at this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/samfeinstei鈥?/a> Read the text. That should explain a lot.



If you are dealing with clients, I would do the cropping for various aspect ratios myself before giving them the files. They would then have an option of getting a 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc. without messing up the image.



For instance, check out this group: http://www.flickr.com/photos/samfeinstei鈥?/a>



I provided the link to the group of people in the picture and said that they could download and print whatever they want. I also provided the service of getting nice prints done (with or without mounting) from Mpix for my cost. It's all the same image, but it is cropped differently. There is one %26quot;original%26quot; where I specify that it would print nicely at 4x6, 8x12, 10x15, etc. Then there are two more that I marked 10x20 and 5x15. Notice that I did not offer an 8x10. The 8x12 is the full image. I didn't have enough padding on the left and right to get a decent 8x10 crop out of it. It would look ridiculous anyway. 8x12 mats nicely to 16x20 and it's decent at 11x14.